Waqrapukara is the new alternative for hiking lovers, this fortress is located at 4,300 meters / 14,107 feet, at the top of a great ravine covered with forests that crown the abysses that dominate the Apurímac river canyon. The word Waqrapukara is a Quechua word Waqra = horn, Pucara = fortress. The locals of Llamapuka assure that they are not horns, but rather the standing ears of a llama that alert the presence of foreigners.
- 4:30 a.m. pick up from your respective hotel and transfer to trail head.
- 2 hours transfer to Sangarara small town by our van.
- Breakfast at Sangarara.
- 1 hour more transfer by our transport to the trail head.
- 2 hours of Hiking to the Waqrapukara viewpoint.
- Once at the viewpoint, you can enjoy the spectacular views and take your first panoramic photographs of this incredible fortress.
- Explanation of the ruins for approximately an hour, climbing through the remains of the temple, taking photos against the incredible canyon scenery.
- 2 hours the ascent back the way we came.
- Delicious lunch at Sangarara town.
- Return to Cusco in our mobility arriving 7:00 pm approx.
We will pick you up at 4:00-4:30 am from your hotel, Airbnb, or hostel in Cusco. It will be a 2 hours’ drive to Cusipata Where you will have a delicious breakfast, after that we continue one hour more drive to Phulawasipata (4600 mt. / 15091 ft) this is the trailhead where we start the hiking, first we walk 1 and a 1/2 to two hours uphill to the Rainbow Mountain range. where you will find a beautiful landscape, big mountain and local people with their typical clothes making their daily life, you will find groups of Alpacas, Llamas and sometimes wild Vicuñas, also small lagoons created by the thaws of the glaciers, once you arrive at the summit (Vinicunca 5020 mts. / 16469 Fts.) you will have a free time to rest and to take your pictures, then, we start to go back by a different way to the others groups, the “Red Valley”, we call it like that for the red color of the mountain soil, this landscapes are so amazing and uniques, this is a totally different experience, this will be other 2 hours walk downhill to arrive again in Phulawasipata where our transportation will be waiting for you to take you to Cusipata to have a buffet comforting lunch, then we will bring you back to Cusco where you will arrive around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. (we drop you off one block from the main square for the traffic).
- Information from your guide the night before your departure.
- Pick up from your hotel on your departure.
- Transportation round trip.
- 01 Breakfast on our private restaurant.
- English speaking tour guide.
- Entrances fee to access to the rainbow mountain and the red valley.
- 01 buffet Lunch in Cusipata.
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Vegetarian/special diet options available.
- Wooden walking sticks.
- Horse to ride – 80 soles approx.
- Water: please bring 2 liters per person
- Voluntary Tips for the cook, horsemen and guide (Every DESTINY PERU staff receive a fair and decent payment immediately after they end the trip. Tips are optional but of great appreciation for them – according to your wish)
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO TAKE?
- Small back pack.
- Copy of your passport.
- Good hiking gear like hiking boots, Scarf, Polar or thermal clothing, gloves, hat warm fleece and Wool socks.
- Waterproof pants and Warm jacket
- Long sleeved shirts or sweater
- rain poncho
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses / Sun protection cream
- Personal medication
- Camera and films
- Some cash in soles
EXTRA MONEY FOR SOUVENIRS, DRINKS & TIPS.
OPTIONAL: Little presents for kids of communities along the trail such as school supplies, second hand clothes